Recently, I went to the island that people of Malaysia & all over the world love to go. The island is Langkawi. Before the trip, I make many research from the internet to find out what the island look like and all about it but the result is, I can't find any. I want my visit going smoothly and has no problem. At that time, I think, why don't you doing something to help other people to get the information about the island easily? And make they trip enjoyable and full of excitement. So, that's why I created this blog, to help all of you (I hope so). Please let me know if there is a fact mistake or what so ever. Because I'm just human (sure you are not alien...hahaha). And I feel sorry if my English is bad. Please give any comment or suggestion to me. I'll try to improve this blog from time to time. All the best.....Thanks a lot to all of you....!!!

Langkawi Get Recognitions?!!!

On June 1, 2007, Langkawi Island has been given a World Geopark status by UNESCO. Three of its main Geopark components are Mount Machincang Cambrian Geoforest Park, Kilim Geoforest Park and Pulau Tasik Dayang Bunting (Island of the Pregnant Maiden Lake).

Sheltered by the mountainous backbone of Peninsular Malaysia, Langkawi escapes the northeastern winter monsoon entirely and enjoys sunny skies when the eastern provinces are flooded. Coupled with natural white sand beaches, lush jungle foliage and craggy mountain peaks—but hampered by inaccessibility—the island was at one time touted as "Malaysia's best-kept secret".

Langkawi remained a sleepy backwater until 1987, when the island was granted tax-free status with the intention of promoting tourism. Subsequently the island's airport was upgraded and ferry links were increased.

Beginning 1990's, Langkawi competes with nearby Penang for the title of Malaysia's largest tourist draw and attraction. Resorts and 5 star hotels line the beaches and in the winter high season, direct flights land from as far as Europe and Japan.

Besides being tax-free, the beach and eagle, another attraction in Langkawi is the Cable Car to the tops of Gunung Mat Cincang at 705 m above sea level. Galeria Perdana a collection of over 2500 gift to the fourth Prime Minister of Malaysia, Mahathir Mohamad.

Langkawi is affected by the milder western monsoon (May-September), and while diving is possible at Pulau Payar, water clarity tends to be poor.

Langkawi used to be the starting point of the annual international cycling race Tour de Langkawi cycling event, however after 2000, Langkawi was omitted from the race itinerary. Langkawi also hosts the biennial Langkawi International Maritime and Air Show (LIMA).

No comments: